My new website uses WordPress and Smarty

Spurred on by the rather dull situation of my web dev portfolio being a single long page with pictures and writing on it (which simply will not do!), I spent the last week moving my blog (and my portfolio) to my own webspace with WordPress and a custom theme. This entailed re-learning PHP (ugh), learning more about WordPress, and pulling a lot of hair. And the whole thing is still a work in progress, but it’s here, and it’s better than my old blog. Yay!

Continue reading “My new website uses WordPress and Smarty”

I have a craving for keywords

Something interesting is going on with Gnome Shell and Unity: it is becoming very normal to search for applications. But search is more than just typing something’s name in a box: With the web, search has become synonymous with asking questions and getting answers. With really good searching, people can find what they need by saying what they want to do. So, I think searching for applications is something that should be addressed strongly to provide a great experience.

I have a hunch that one part of this puzzle is already mostly here. It just needs some glue. Almost every application is associated with at least one category, like BlocksGame and VectorGraphics. I’m hoping we can leverage that data to make searching more excellent.

Now, just in case I’ve lost anyone: there is cake involved!

I made the Category Keyword Collector to explore my theory.

If enough people enter enough data, I’m hoping we’ll see some interesting trends in how people describe applications. Ideally it will all line up and we can create a wonderful thing that expands each standard category into a bunch of searchable keywords. More likely we’ll see where the problems lie in my theory, and of course I’m hoping good things will emerge from that.

Tastier than it looks! (More so with a smaller mug and a crunchier cookie)

So, this is where the true heroes among us venture forth to the website.
Please play with it! It really enjoys the company, and it will only take a few seconds. I promise!

(Sorry about the bumped post. Blogger spat out uglier HTML than usual and I had to pick at it)

Harvest + GSoC week 12

Well, I managed my last-minute merge request for Summer of Code 2010, and with that done it is time for my last GSoC 2010 blog post!

I am really glad I did this. It’s taught me a lot about myself (having never done a project in this fashion before) and I’m happy with how it turned out. GSoC was a nice change of pace and I hope to keep this up for a while!

(Hamster still says I’m a slacker. I need to convince it otherwise)

Continue reading “Harvest + GSoC week 12”

Harvest + GSoC week 9!

The past week, unfortunately, hasn’t been very productive for me. Still, I have a few things to show!

I did a bunch of cleanup (again) and I toyed with animations for a while. There is now an animation (and a loading indicator) when new results are retrieved for the filters. One philosophy I have found myself following is that this UI that never, ever blocks on a task. So, no matter what is happening, you should always be able to click the same buttons you could before.
(On a related note, I’ve been very excited about Blender lately).

Continue reading “Harvest + GSoC week 9!”

Harvest stuff for GSoC: Week 7!

Time for my bi-weekly Harvest update! Everything this time went into the gsoc-client-stuff branch.

The first thing I learned (well, decided) is that YUI has incredibly dense, loopy and uncool documentation. I guess different people are compatible with different kinds of docs. As I read the YUI stuff I just couldn’t keep it all straight for some reason. Its landing page leads off in many directions: there’s an API reference that was written and designed to put me to sleep, an Examples section that doesn’t bother to link to the API reference (but is more pleasantly written), and a lot of extra listings in between.

Continue reading “Harvest stuff for GSoC: Week 7!”

Harvest GSoC project: week 5!

The last two weeks of my Harvest project have gone really well. It isn’t flashy and exciting and earth-shattering (yet), but I’m happy with it.

First of all, my branch now has Packages and Opportunities filters. I implemented a bunch of each, and they are resolved in order. First Harvest runs the package filters, then it filters the opportunities that belong to those packages, then it hides packages that have no visible opportunities after all that filtering.

Continue reading “Harvest GSoC project: week 5!”