I’m starting the third week of coding on my GSoC 2013 project, a new break timer application for GNOME. I spent the last two weeks working on an odd mix of little things. For the most part, my goal over that time was to make the gnome-break-timer project (previously brainbreak, still brainbreak in most places) nicer to work with. I’m a bit of a sucker for clean code, and, well…Continue reading “GNOME Break Timer: Week 2”
A little while ago, my proposal was accepted for Google Summer of Code 2013. So, this summer I will be working with Jasper St. Pierre and the GNOME project on a shiny new break timer application. We’re going to spend some time filling out the wiki page for the new break timer design, and from mid-June to mid-September I will try to implement it as well as I can.Continue reading “My GSOC 2013 project: a new break timer application for GNOME”
Well, I managed my last-minute merge request for Summer of Code 2010, and with that done it is time for my last GSoC 2010 blog post!
I am really glad I did this. It’s taught me a lot about myself (having never done a project in this fashion before) and I’m happy with how it turned out. GSoC was a nice change of pace and I hope to keep this up for a while!
(Hamster still says I’m a slacker. I need to convince it otherwise)Continue reading “Harvest + GSoC week 12”
The past week, unfortunately, hasn’t been very productive for me. Still, I have a few things to show!
I did a bunch of cleanup (again) and I toyed with animations for a while. There is now an animation (and a loading indicator) when new results are retrieved for the filters. One philosophy I have found myself following is that this UI that never, ever blocks on a task. So, no matter what is happening, you should always be able to click the same buttons you could before.
(On a related note, I’ve been very excited about Blender lately).
Time for my bi-weekly Harvest update! Everything this time went into the gsoc-client-stuff branch.
The first thing I learned (well, decided) is that YUI has incredibly dense, loopy and uncool documentation. I guess different people are compatible with different kinds of docs. As I read the YUI stuff I just couldn’t keep it all straight for some reason. Its landing page leads off in many directions: there’s an API reference that was written and designed to put me to sleep, an Examples section that doesn’t bother to link to the API reference (but is more pleasantly written), and a lot of extra listings in between.Continue reading “Harvest stuff for GSoC: Week 7!”
The last two weeks of my Harvest project have gone really well. It isn’t flashy and exciting and earth-shattering (yet), but I’m happy with it.
First of all, my branch now has Packages and Opportunities filters. I implemented a bunch of each, and they are resolved in order. First Harvest runs the package filters, then it filters the opportunities that belong to those packages, then it hides packages that have no visible opportunities after all that filtering.Continue reading “Harvest GSoC project: week 5!”